With a donor-advised fund, you or a Fund Advisory Committee are actively involved in the distribution of your gifts by making grant recommendations to support different charities, communities or charitable activities that
are of interest to you. Download our brochure on Donor-Advised Funds.
With a designated fund, you designate specific charities or communities to receive your gifts. This type of fund is arranged only as a permanent endowment, thus guaranteeing income for the charity or community in perpetuity.
Benefits of a donor-advised fund
- You advise as to whom, how much, and when to give from the fund.
- You may change the charitable beneficiaries without the expense of changing wills, trust or legal documents.
- You can name successors to carry on your charitable goals.
- You may be able to make suggestions as to the investment advisor that manages the fund's investment.
- If you choose, you can maintain anonymity, and your fund is never subject to public record. This means you will not be solicited by charities except through your own activity.
- Your donor-advised fund qualifies for the highest charitable income and estate tax deductions allowed by law, while bypassing capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated assets to the fund.
- Your administrative costs are minimal and you do not need to comply with required annual tax auditing and reporting as these are performed for you.
Benefits of a donor-designated fund
- You gift creates a permanent legacy
- Your gift supports your favorite charitable causes in perpetuity
- You may choose to remain anonymous and your fund is not subject to public record.
- Your donor-designated fund qualifies for the highest charitable income and estate tax deductions allowed by law, while bypassing capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated assets to the fund.
- Administrative costs are extremely low and all audit and reporting requirements are performed for you.
If you have any questions about creating a donor-advised or a donor-designated fund with Nebraska Community Foundation, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer your questions.
How NCF Can Help You
The Nebraska Community Foundation's knowledgeable staff is dedicated to helping you achieve your charitable gifting goal. NCF does this by offering consultation including proposals that outline all tax and financial benefits and support including assistance to your legal and financial advisors in implementing the plan that best meets your wishes.
Private Foundation Conversion
Learn more about how to convert a private foundation to a donor-advised fund with the Nebraska Community Foundation.
Donor-Advised Fund Policy & Guidelines
The purpose of this Donor-Advised Fund Policy & Guidelines ("Policy") is to guide the Nebraska Community Foundation ("NCF") staff and donors in complying with the law applicable to donor-advised funds ("DAFs") and with NCF administrative policies while achieving donors' charitable goals. Download the policy,